Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Hotel Canto das Aguas: Lencois, Brazil

It's a six hour drive from Salvador to the sleepy town of Lencois in the heart of the Chapada Diamantina - one of Brazil's most popular eco-tourism destinations. While my traveling companions crawled through caves, rappeled waterfalls and climbed mountains, I discovered my Inner Paris Hilton at Hotel Canto das Aguas.

This isn't the kind of luxury boutique hotel you'd expect to find in a town so small you can walk up and down every street in 15 minutes. Built over a waterfall, you can hear the "singing" waters from just about every room. I tried out the Amazonian hammock on my private patio, hoping to entertain one of the Spider Monkeys that swing down from the trees at dawn and twilight.

While I struck out with the monkeys, I scored BIG with a Tree House Massage. I've had my share of massages with recorded sounds of waterfalls and birds but this was the real deal. While a masseuse dressed in white like an Indian Yogi worked on my trapezius muscles, I breathed in the scent of jasmine, mint and honeysuckle and listened to the calls of 150 species of tropical birds. You can have your extreme sports in Lencois and your extreme indulgence too. www.lencois.com.br

No comments:

Post a Comment